This calendar is composed of outreach events related to agricultural management practices that align with FREP’s mission. To add an outreach event, contact us at email@example.com.
Tuesday, August 27 from 8:00-10:00
Madera County Farm Bureau, 1102 S Pine St, Madera, CA 93637
Interested in learning more about how to use evapotranspiration, soil sensors, and the pressure chamber to improve your irrigation practices? Want to learn how to irrigate better but don’t know where to start? Join us for an introductory irrigation training, where Phoebe Gordon (Orchard Crops) and Karl Lund (Vineyards) will teach you how to:
- Convert hours irrigated into inches of water per acre
Calculate your orchard or vineyard’s stored water
Use ET to calculate the required water for your orchard or vineyard
Use soil sensors to time irrigation sets
Using the pressure bomb as a practice check or to manage reduced irrigation programs
Seats are limited, so registration is required (but free!).
Come learn about cover crops from experienced growers and technical advisers at Davis Ranches in Colusa, with a focus on integrating cover crops into the management calendar and seed selection.
Topics covered and speakers will include:
• Benefits and tradeoffs of growing cover crops from experienced growers with Nick Edsall and Daniel Unruh
• Overview of CAFF’s cover crop in nuts project with Sara Tiffany (CAFF)
• How to integrate cover crops into the management calendar & annual reseeding cover crops with Janine Hasey (UC Cooperative Extension)
• Planning a cover crop – seed selection, lining up equipment, and deciding when to plant with Tom Johnson (Kamprath Seed)
Lunch and refreshments provided
Please come prepared with sunscreen and hats as we’ll be out in the field!