PLEASE NOTE: This event is open to Farmers and Private Landowners who are actively engaged in crop or livestock production.
Join us for a Field Day and Farm Tour at River Garden Farms! Improving soil health can increase crop yield, attract beneficial insects, and lower your bottom line. Cover crops do all this and contribute to greenhouse gas emission reduction goals. Come, learn the ins and outs of cover cropping!
- COVER CROPS are an amazing alternative to leaving your field fallow after harvest. Often applied as a mix of different plant seeds, cover crops help return N to the soil and reduce the amount of synthetic fertilizer needed
- NITROGEN MANAGEMENT changes when you install a cover crop. Learn how to estimate how much nitrogen is returning to the soil from the cover crop and incorporate that into your nitrogen budget.
- PEST CONTROL including using non-chemical methods in annual cropping systems with an emphasis on rice systems
- Dominic Bruno, River Garden Farms
- Scott Park, Park Farm Organics
- Tom Johnson, Kamprath Seed Company
- Wendy Rash, Solano NRCS
- Whitney Brim-DeForest, UCCE Sutter/Yuba
The 2017 Healthy Soils Demonstration Project is funded by Greenhouse Gas Reduction Funds and is part of California Climate Investments, a statewide program that puts billions of Cap-and-Trade dollars to work reducing GHG emissions, strengthening the economy, and improving public health and the environment.