This calendar is composed of outreach events related to agricultural management practices that align with FREP’s mission. To add an outreach event, contact us at email@example.com.
UC Cooperative Extension will host the SJC and Delta Field Crops Meeting on Thursday, January 17, 2019 from 8:00am to 12:00pm. The meeting location is the Cabral Agricultural Center in Stockton (2101 E. Earhart Ave., Stockton, CA 95206). Coffee and light refreshments will be provided.
The agenda is attached at the bottom of this post, and is as follows:
8:00am Doors Open and Sign In
8:15am Nitrogen Stabilizers in Silage Corn, Michelle Leinfelder-Miles, UCCE San Joaquin/Delta Counties
8:45am Measuring the Interaction between N Demand and Water Use in Irrigated Corn, Mark Lundy, UC Davis
9:15am Regulatory Update, Tim Pelican, San Joaquin County Agricultural Commissioner
9:30am Fish Friendly Farming Program for the Delta, Laurel Marcus, California Land Stewardship Institute
10:00am Agronomic Strategies to Improve Alfalfa Pest Management, Dan Putnam, UC Davis
10:30am Opportunities for Automation and Optimization of Surface Irrigation Systems, Khaled Bali, UCCE, Kearney Research and Extension Center
11:00am Italian Ryegrass Management in California Wheat Cropping Systems, Mariano Galla, UCCE, Glenn/Butte/Tehama Counties
11:30am Managing for Soil Health and Soil Salinity, Michelle Leinfelder-Miles, UCCE, San Joaquin/Delta Counties
12:00pm Evaluations and Adjourn
We have submitted applications for continuing education for pesticide licensing and certified crop advisors. We have also submitted an application for nitrogen management continuing education, which would help to satisfy growers’ continuing education requirement for the Irrigated Lands Program. Applications are pending.
***Please note venue change this year, as a result of use of the normal venue as a FEMA/Red Cross evacuation site from the Camp Fire.***
Full agenda will be posted closer to the event. Complimentary tri-tip lunch is included.
Save the Date! Information coming soon: http://cesutter.ucanr.edu/?calitem=427706&g=93401
The California Irrigation Institute hosts an annual conference on California water issues, water use efficiency, water quality, and surface and groundwater management. The conference features leading water industry experts, government agency heads, water district managers, innovative farmers, and vendors with leading water saving products. The sessions aim to discuss research results and practical field experience.
Times, agenda and lunch information will be posted closer to the event date.
The Nickels Soil Lab’s 2019 field day is set for May 7, with registration starting at 8:30 a.m. The event will be held at facility on Green Bay Road in Arbuckle.
Topics on the program include:
- Walnut hedging for bot management.
- Erosion management options.
- Nematodes in walnuts/rootstock trial.
- Nitrogen in Walnuts: What, When, Where & How Much?
- Honey bee hive strength.
- Evaluation of Independent Irrigation Management of Different Varieties within the Same Almond Orchard during Pre-Harvest and Post-Harvest Periods.
- NOW management in almonds.
- Postharvest nitrogen fertilization of almonds in the Sacramento Valley.
One hour of PCA CE credits has been requested and 2.5 hours of CCA CE credits have been approved.
Estimating yield is both important and difficult. Accurate projections of crop size are necessary for both logistical and financial planning. Growers will share their experience and wisdom when it comes to estimating a crop including their methods, tips and techniques. Different methods will be compared and discussed. We will also dip into the theory behind making estimates.
Bart Haycraft, Vineyard Manager, Jackson Family Wines- Los Alamos
Craig Macmillan, Ph.D., Technical Program Manager, Vineyard Team
SIP Certified Standards:
The content of this workshop applies to SIP Certified® Standard 10.1.4
3.0 CCA CEUs applied for
Free for Members/$30 for Non-members
This class will cover new techniques in the control and application of fertilizers through irrigation systems and strategies to conform with the intent of the new nitrogen regulations in California. Other topics include nitrogen fertilizers, challenges with phosphorus and potassium applications, growth enhancers, and organic-compliant ways to keep drip systems clean. Increasing yields per acre-foot of evapotranspiration (ET) through better fertility management will also be discussed.
TREE,VINE & IRRIGATION WORKSHOP
November 12, 2019 8:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M.
Please RSVP : www.maderafb.com Or by phone 559-674-8871 Refunds will not be issued for non-attendance or cancellations with less than 24 hours notice.
3.25 hours of CCA and Grower Nitrogen Management Continuing Education Units
Cost: $10 MCFB Members $25 Non-MCFB Members
- 8:00 A.M.- 8:30 A.M. XERCES/NRCS: COVER CROPPING FOR SOIL HEALTH
- 8:35 a.m. -9:20 a.m. UCCE: ORCHARD NITROGEN TALK
- 9:25 A.M.– 9:40A.M. UCCE: SALINITY MANAGEMENT
- 9:45 A.M.-10:30 A.M. CENTER FOR IRRIGATION TECHNOLOGY, CSUF: IRRIGATION MANAGEMENT TO CONTROL THE LEACHING OF NITROGEN
- 10:35 A.M. – 11:20 A.M. UCCE: TECHNOLOGIES AND BASICS FOR VINEYARDS
- 11:25 A.M. – 11:55 A.M. JAIN IRRIGATION: USING TECHNOLOGY TO IMPROVE NUTRIENT AND WATER MANAGEMENT
- 7:30 AM – 8:00 AM Registration/Coffee
- 8:00 AM – 8:30 AM Understanding Organic Fertilizers
Tim Stemwedel, California Organic Fertilizers
- 8:30 AM – 9:15 AM Pest Management in Cannabis and Hemp
Dr. Thomas Quick, Growmore
- 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM Integrated Pest Management for Insects & Mites in Organic Almond and Walnut Production
Emily J. Symmes, PhD, Sac Valley Area IPM Advisor; UCCE & State IPM Program
- 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM Exhibitor Booth Demonstrations
- 10:45 AM – 11:15 AM Foliar Application Methods
Andrew Pedersen, Brandt
- 11:15 AM – 12:00 PM Organic IPM in Field and Vegetable Crop Production
- Rachael Long, UCCE Farm Advisor
- 12:00 PM – 12:30 PM LUNCH
- 12:30 PM – 1:00 PM Exhibitor Booth Demonstrations
- 1:00 PM – 1:45 PM Pesticide Safety and Violations
- Scott Bowden, Sutter County Deputy Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer
- 1:45 PM – 2:15 PM Sulphur Use in Organic Agriculture
Wesley Haun, Tiger-Sul
- 2:15 PM – 3:00 PM Grower Panel