This calendar is composed of outreach events related to agricultural management practices that align with FREP’s mission. To add an outreach event, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nutrient Management for Avocado and Citrus
- IPM for Avocado and Citrus
- SGMA Compliance and the Impact on Growers
CCA CEUs Available
- CCA-01-Nutrient Management : 0.5
- CCA-03-Integrated Pest Management : 0.5
- CCA-10-Sustainability : 1
For more info contact Denis Barry at email@example.com
9:00 – 9:10 Introduction– Kelly Huff, Dixon/Solano RCD Water Quality Coalition
9:10 – 10:10 Nitrogen & Irrigation Calculators for Almonds –
Spencer Cooper, Senior Manager of Irrigation and Water Efficiency with the Almond Board of California
Nitrogen & Irrigation Calculators offered to Almond growers as well as
Distribution uniformity of irrigation systems, impacts on water and nutrient applications.
10:10 – 11:10 Table Group Exercise – Local Certified Crop Advisers & Growers as Table
Group Discussion Topics
Walk through real world examples of nitrogen plans
Calculating pounds of N applied for various fertilizer products
Calculating pounds of N from Irrigation water
Reporting Yield –
11:10 – 11:30 (LARGE GROUP TALK) Review of most helpful information from Table
Fava bean is an ancient food crop that is extensively grown and consumed around the world. In California, fava bean is largely grown as winter cover crop to protect the soil and add to soil nitrogen. In this field day event, several speakers will talk about the benefits and selection of cover crops for different cropping systems. We will also demonstrate a field trial that aims to identify fava bean genotypes with enhanced nitrogen fixation.
9:45 – Refreshment & Registration
10:00 – Welcome & Organic Rice Production – Jessica Lundberg, LFF
10:15 – Cover Crops in Annual Rotations – Sarah Light, UCCE Agronomy Advisor
10:30 – Fava bean Cover Crop in Ricelands – Dr. Jinguo Hu, ARS Pullman, Genetic Resources
10:45 – Selection of Warm & Cool Season Cover Crops – Margaret Smither-Kopperl, PMC
11:00 – Cover Crops in Orchards- Rory Crowley, Nicolaus Nut Company, Inc.
11:15 – Walking to the Field Trial
11:30 – Students Research Spotlight, Fava bean Benefits Potentials – Aaron Alvarez, Amanda Cox, Chloe Dugger, Miriam Pacheco
11:45 – Fava bean Nitrogen Fixation, Dr. Zakeri, CSU, Chico
Noon – Adjourn and Questions
All are welcome. There is no registration, but they would appreciate an email to Hossein Zakeri, firstname.lastname@example.org for a headcount. For more information, call 530-538-3500.
SGMA Survival Toolkit!
Mark your calendars!
For more information please contact Don Wright email@example.com
Tuesday, August 27 from 8:00-10:00
Madera County Farm Bureau, 1102 S Pine St, Madera, CA 93637
Interested in learning more about how to use evapotranspiration, soil sensors, and the pressure chamber to improve your irrigation practices? Want to learn how to irrigate better but don’t know where to start? Join us for an introductory irrigation training, where Phoebe Gordon (Orchard Crops) and Karl Lund (Vineyards) will teach you how to:
- Convert hours irrigated into inches of water per acre
Calculate your orchard or vineyard’s stored water
Use ET to calculate the required water for your orchard or vineyard
Use soil sensors to time irrigation sets
Using the pressure bomb as a practice check or to manage reduced irrigation programs
Seats are limited, so registration is required (but free!).
Come learn about cover crops from experienced growers and technical advisers at Davis Ranches in Colusa, with a focus on integrating cover crops into the management calendar and seed selection.
Topics covered and speakers will include:
• Benefits and tradeoffs of growing cover crops from experienced growers with Nick Edsall and Daniel Unruh
• Overview of CAFF’s cover crop in nuts project with Sara Tiffany (CAFF)
• How to integrate cover crops into the management calendar & annual reseeding cover crops with Janine Hasey (UC Cooperative Extension)
• Planning a cover crop – seed selection, lining up equipment, and deciding when to plant with Tom Johnson (Kamprath Seed)
Lunch and refreshments provided
Please come prepared with sunscreen and hats as we’ll be out in the field!
TREE,VINE & IRRIGATION WORKSHOP
November 12, 2019 8:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M.
Please RSVP : www.maderafb.com Or by phone 559-674-8871 Refunds will not be issued for non-attendance or cancellations with less than 24 hours notice.
3.25 hours of CCA and Grower Nitrogen Management Continuing Education Units
Cost: $10 MCFB Members $25 Non-MCFB Members
- 8:00 A.M.- 8:30 A.M. XERCES/NRCS: COVER CROPPING FOR SOIL HEALTH
- 8:35 a.m. -9:20 a.m. UCCE: ORCHARD NITROGEN TALK
- 9:25 A.M.– 9:40A.M. UCCE: SALINITY MANAGEMENT
- 9:45 A.M.-10:30 A.M. CENTER FOR IRRIGATION TECHNOLOGY, CSUF: IRRIGATION MANAGEMENT TO CONTROL THE LEACHING OF NITROGEN
- 10:35 A.M. – 11:20 A.M. UCCE: TECHNOLOGIES AND BASICS FOR VINEYARDS
- 11:25 A.M. – 11:55 A.M. JAIN IRRIGATION: USING TECHNOLOGY TO IMPROVE NUTRIENT AND WATER MANAGEMENT