This calendar is composed of outreach events related to agricultural management practices that align with FREP’s mission. To add an outreach event, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The California Irrigation Institute hosts an annual conference on California water issues, water use efficiency, water quality, and surface and groundwater management. The conference features leading water industry experts, government agency heads, water district managers, innovative farmers, and vendors with leading water saving products. The sessions aim to discuss research results and practical field experience.
Wheat Field Day: Colusa County, CA
9:00 Welcome and the Nitrogen Opportunity
9:15 In season N decision making and how to create a N calibration zone in the field
9:30 Demo of soil nitrate quick test
9:45 Real time plant sensing using hand-held tools and drone imagery
10:00 interpreting field measurements and on farm decision making
10:15 grower perspective on N rich strips
10:30 UC Small grain variety testing program tools and updates
10:45 variety trial observation
The program will consist of an optional half-day farm tour (SOLD OUT) and one and a half days of sessions on successful farm management strategies as well as time to engage with speakers and fellow attendees to build business relationships and peer networks.
Between 8 and 10 CEU’s will be offered at the Summit.
Expert speakers with expert advise on proven methods for creating healthy, productive soil will include John Kempf, Pam Marrone, Glen Rabenberg and Gary Zimmer to name a few.
17 companies will be on hand to answer questions and speak from experience on addressing challenges and reducing risk to drive whole-farm success.
- 10:00am Welcome, Introductions, and Project Overview Michelle Leinfelder-Miles and Brenna Aegerter, UCCE, San Joaquin County
- 10:20am “Lightning Talks” Brief presentations from organizations working on cover cropping and soil health
- Cool Season Cover Cropping: Sarah Light and Amber Vinchesi-Vahl, UCCE
- Cover Cropping Survey: Ben Weise, Contra Costa Resource Conservation District
- Climate Smart Farming Program: Sara Tiffany, Community Alliance with Family Farmers Cover
- Cropping Incentive Programs: Sonya Miller, USDA-NRCS San Joaquin County
- Summer Cover Crop Options: Valerie Bullard and Margaret Smither-Kopperl, USDA-NRCS Plant Materials Center
- 10:45am Caravan to field site
- 11:00am Warm Season Legume Cover Cropping in the Delta – Preliminary Results from Year 1 Michelle Leinfelder-Miles and Brenna Aegerter, UCCE
- 11:15am Viewing of plot
- 11:45am Wrap-up and Evaluations