The Fertilizer Research and Education Program (FREP) has created this blog to give you the latest nutrient management news and information for California growers, advisors, researchers and agencies.
Bringing Research into Practice
To bridge the gap between research conclusions and farming practices in the field, FREP is engaged in several outreach and educational activities:
- The annual conference is the event to attend to learn about new discoveries made in research, and techniques for managing agricultural nutrients. The FREP conference for 2015 was held in Seaside, California, on November 5 and 6.
- At the FREP database, explore the history of FREP research using keywords and specific search criteria.
- The Crop Fertilization Guidelines provide access to nutrient requirements for California crops.
- Since 2014, FREP and the University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources (UC ANR) have partnered to provide nitrogen management training for Certified Crop Advisors (CCAs) throughout California.
- Grower coalitions in the Central Valley are working with FREP to bring nitrogen management training to growers. Through this training, the growers will be able to self-certify their own nitrogen management plans as required by the Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board.
- In addition, the project leaders of FREP-funded projects have field days, demonstrations, and seminars to showcase the research results of FREP-funded projects.
Check out the calendar and sign up to get FREP blog updates in your inbox. We look forward to connecting with you.
FREP is a program of the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA). FREP is mandated to advance the environmentally safe and agronomically sound use and handling of fertilizing materials. FREP funds research and educational projects through its annual grant program, and disseminates information through multiple outlets, including the FREP online research database and crop fertilization guidelines, the FREP annual conference, and through cooperation with various stakeholders.